OLD CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1387566
Date first listed:
13-Apr-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
26-May-1999
Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN, ST GERMAINS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of OLD CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387566.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2020 at 16:44:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
OLD CHURCH OF ST GERMAIN, ST GERMAINS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Saltburn, Marske and New Marske
National Grid Reference:
NZ 63998 22648

Details

SALTBURN, MARSKE AND NEW MARSKE

NZ6322NE ST GERMAIN'S LANE, Marske 802-1/4/24 (North side) 13/04/67 Old Church of St Germain (Formerly Listed as: SALTBURN AND MARSKE BY THE SEA CHURCH ROAD, Marske By The Sea (North side) Old Church of St Germain)

GV II

Tower of former parish church, remainder of building surviving only a few courses high. Lower courses possibly medieval, remainder 1820-1. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; stone spire of blocks, not slates. EXTERIOR: 2 stages. Plinth to high first stage which has steps removed below boarded 2-centred-arched overlight of blocked west door. Similar shape smaller blocked arch in east wall below former roofline of chancel. Second stage has plain stone surrounds and Y-tracery to 2-light windows on north, south and west elevations, below eaves string and battlemented parapet. Tall octagonal stone spire. Fragment of nave rubble wall attached on north elevation. INTERIOR: not inspected. An annual service is held here. (VCH: Yorkshire North Riding: 1923-: 403).





Listing NGR: NZ6399822648

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475541
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
The Victoria History of the County of Yorkshire North Riding: Volume II , (1923), 403

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08407/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Matthew Falcus. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].