CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1387671
Date first listed:
27-Dec-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HELEN, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387671.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:35:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST HELEN, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Neston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 29150 77442

Details

NESTON

SJ2977 HIGH STREET, Neston Town 794-1/6/66 (West side) 27/12/62 Church of St Mary and St Helen

GV II*

Parish church. C14 tower incorporating masonry from church of 1170, probably restored 1697; chancel, nave, aisles and upper stages of tower heavily restored and substantially rebuilt in 1875. C19 restoration by J Francis Doyle. MATERIALS: coursed squared red sandstone with ashlar dressings; slate roofs with red tile ridge cresting; stone copings, gable crosses and finials. PLAN: 2-bay chancel and north vestry; 6-bay aisled nave and south porch; west tower. EXTERIOR: 3 stepped lancets with stained glass to chancel east window flanked by diagonal buttresses. Aisle gable ends have trefoil headed lancets in pairs with trefoils above under hoodmoulds with face stops. A high plinth with cavetto cornice and ogee sill-string are continuous features throughout the east gable-ends and aisles elevations. Aisle windows are mainly lancets. On the south side, oak doors in the porch and to east in aisle wall are pointed and have hoodmoulds. On north side, vestry door is set within a recessed porch. 4-stage tower has low weathered plinth and diagonal buttresses. Small pointed door to west with trefoil window above; first stage has sunken narrow windows with flat heads. The upper levels have louvred 2-light traceried openings. Datestone set in the south face gives 1697 restoration date. Crenellated parapet with four main face gargoyles. INTERIOR: chancel has twisted crested wrought iron chancel rail. Painted stone reredos with statues, painted features, gablets and crocketed pinnacles; brass rail and mosaic floor to Sanctuary; 3-seat sedilia and panelled oak choir stalls. 6-bay nave arcades of alternately octagonal and round columns with moulded capitals. Round tower arch fitted with ornate memorial gates circa 1904: high on east wall, blind arcade of six shafts commemorates the earlier origins of the church. Waggon roof to chancel; diagonally boarded hammerbeam roof to nave. FITTINGS: pitch pine benches and nave wainscotting with quatrefoil frieze. C16 octagonal roll moulded stone font with quatrefoils to bowl and cusped lancet panels to stem. Panelled oak pulpit on stone base. MEMORIALS: 1914-1919 memorial window flanked by names on slate



tablets. Stones: fragments of Saxon crosses mounted at west end of church. STAINED GLASS: by Morris and Co, and Kempe.



Listing NGR: SJ2915077442

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475657
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09289/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].