FRONTAGE BUILDING TO RICHARD KLINGER FACTORY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1387704
Date first listed:
26-Jul-1999
Statutory Address:
FRONTAGE BUILDING TO RICHARD KLINGER FACTORY, EDGINGTON WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of FRONTAGE BUILDING TO RICHARD KLINGER FACTORY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387704.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 18:19:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
FRONTAGE BUILDING TO RICHARD KLINGER FACTORY, EDGINGTON WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bromley (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ4778570477

Details

TQ 47 SE EDGINGTON WAY

Frontage building to 785/7/10056 Richard Klinger Factory

II

Offices, cutting shop, toolroom and storage for factory. Completed in 1937 to the designs of Wallis Gilbert and partners for Richard Klinger Ltd, founded in Austria in 1893, manufacturers of gaskets for engines and hydraulic pipelines and also water level gauges, valves and cocks. Symmetrical Modern Movement style building with steel frame clad with buff brick facings and brown facing bricks laid on end and stone dressings, with concrete floors and asphalted flat roofs. Two storeys and basement; 15 windows to front and 4 windows to side elevations, horizontal metal framed casements throughout. Principal feature is central three storey and basement tower incorporating octagonal clockface, flagpole, watertanks and principal staircase. This has a central tall staircase window above entrance which has brown brick and stone stepped architrave with flat stone hood and flight of steps with attached stone circular planters. Corner windows to ends of central tower. On each side are two storeys and basement wings of six bays, the last bays slightly recessed and with taller brown brick parapets. Seven-light casements with taller windows to ground floor and bands of brown facing bricks between floors. Side elevations have mainly 5-bay casements. Interior has main staircase with metal handrail. The curved glazed screens to the main entrance hall have been removed. This building originally housed the water tanks at the top of the central tower, a second floor company flat intended for visiting Austrian executives, offices on the first floor, cutting shop and toolroom on the ground floor and storage for rubber, asbestos, chemicals and consumable items in the basement. The attached production building to the south of 1937 and the 1960s is not recommended for listing.

["The Architect and Building News " 7 Jan 1938 pp19-21. Joan Skinner "Form and Fancy". Jon Boulter's unpublished thesis on Factory Buildings in london between the wars. ]



Listing NGR: TQ4735670342

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475690
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Skinner, J, Form and Fancy: Factories and Factory Buildings by Wallis Gilbert and Partners, 1919-1939, (1997)
'The Architect and Building News' in 7 Jan 1938, (19-21)
'The Architect and Building News' in 28 January, (1938), 19-21

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16600/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].