VILLA TAVERN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1387740

Date first listed: 28-Jul-1999

Statutory Address: VILLA TAVERN, NECHELLS PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of VILLA TAVERN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387740 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:07:44.

Location

Statutory Address: VILLA TAVERN, NECHELLS PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 09234 89224

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 08 NE BIRMINGHAM NECHELLS PARK ROAD

997/7/10209 Villa Tavern

II

Public house. Rebuilt 1924-5 by Matthew J. Butcher of Birmingham for Ansells Brewery Ltd. Red brick with buff terracotta detailing. Cement tiled roof. Ridge and eaves stacks. PLAN. L-shaped plan, occupying street corner site, with public bar and club axially placed, and with small smoke room behind. EXTERIOR. 2 storeys, with 6-bay frontage to Holborn Hill, a 3-bay frontage to Nechells Park Road, and between, at the corner angle, doorway set beneath a shallow semi-circular arched canopy. Nechells Park Road elevation with a canted bay window and two entrance doors. Holborn Hill elevation with off-centre paired doorways, 3, 2-light windows to the left and 2, 2-light windows to the right. On the first floor flat pilasters with alternating brick and terracotta blocks define the bays. Terracotta head and cill bands , and above, a cornice and deep plain parapet which is broken by segmental pediments, one to each frontage, and a chimney gablet to the Holborn Hill elevation. INTERIOR. Little- altered plan based around 3 public rooms, all retaining fixed wall seating and fire surrounds ,and contemporary public bar counter and back with round arches and mirror glass. Half-glazed panelled doors with rectangular overlights, throughout, those to public rooms with etched glass identifying their function. Tiled flooring to entrance lobbies and hall. Green and buff tiled dado to the Holborn Hill entrance lobby and hall area behind. Bell-pushes in the smoke and club rooms. In the bar, smoke room and hall raised bands of decoration in the ceilings follows the shape of the rooms. This public house is unusual for the survival of its 1925 plan and the contemporary fittings. Architecturally it displays the greater simplicity associated with post-First World War public houses but the internal arrangements are reminiscent of smaller Victorian pubs rather than the inter-War 'improved' variety. SOURCE: Birmingham Archives, Birmingham Building Plans 38518.



Listing NGR: SP0923489224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 475729

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing