CANUTE CHAMBERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1387770
Date first listed:
29-Jul-1999
Statutory Address:
CANUTE CHAMBERS, CANUTE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387770.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-May-2021 at 01:27:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
CANUTE CHAMBERS, CANUTE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Southampton (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 42698 10989

Details

SU 4210 SOUTHAMPTON CANUTE ROAD 983/5/10032 Canute Chambers

GV II

Offices of shipping company. Built in 1893 for the American Line. Flemish bond red brick with Portland stone dressings. Clay plain tile roof, gabled and half-hipped. Brick axial stacks. PLAN: Rectangular on plan, cross-gabled to right [W] and with central entrance. Queen Anne/Dutch Renaissance style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Asymmetrical north front with large 2-bay Dutch gable on right in five stages with semi-circular pediment, datestone 1893, cornices, blind arcading and first and second floor windows with moulded brick architraves with keystones and cornices; stone frieze below second floor windows inscribed Canute Chambers. Large ground floor windows have cambered arches with keystones and frames within with cornices, the left window retaining its sashes with pilasters; large canted bay window to left of centre with modillion cornice and central porch with scrolled pediment, arcaded overlight and double doors with scrolled pediments to centre panels. Lower eaves on left with dormers above with semi-circular pediments. Similar, but simpler, rear [S] elevation. INTERIOR not inspected. NOTE: Canute Chambers was built for the American Line. In 1907 it was occupied by the Great White Star Line, and in 1931 it was taken over by the United States Line, which occupied the offices until 1969.





Listing NGR: SU4267711030

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475762
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02736/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Goodall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].