CHAPEL OF MOSTYN HOUSE SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1387786
Date first listed:
22-Mar-1974
Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF MOSTYN HOUSE SCHOOL, THE PARADE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1387786.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 17:24:32.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHAPEL OF MOSTYN HOUSE SCHOOL, THE PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Neston
National Grid Reference:
SJ 28037 77952

Details

NESTON

SJ2877 THE PARADE, Parkgate Village 794-1/5/101 (East side) 22/03/74 Chapel of Mostyn House School

GV II*

Collegiate chapel. 1895 with C20 porch extension. By AG Grenfell, Headmaster, for the Mostyn House School; original interior fittings designed by Frederick Fraser of Warrington. MATERIALS: Ruabon red brick in English garden-wall bond on weathered plinth; window dressings and eaves frieze of terracotta; red tile roof with ridge cresting, stone coped west gable and finial on east end. PLAN: nave and chancel continuous, with eastern apse, western bellcote and porch extension. EXTERIOR: building articulated by 2-stage gabled buttresses and encircled by eaves frieze and 4-course deep moulded cornice. Nave and chancel windows are of 2 cinquefoiled lights with quatrefoils in the head beneath 2-centred hoodmoulds. Apse windows are of 3 similar lights with traceried heads and hoodmoulds. West porch link-unit gives access to the chapel from the school and externally via a 2-centred north doorway. This supports octagonal bellcote pierced by a trefoiled opening to each face, raised on square pedestal with 2-light windows to three faces, and surmounted by octagonal spirelet with finial. Further west, an exposed iron girder bellframe supports a 31-bell carillon which is a memorial to the 1914-1918 War. INTERIOR: 5-bay nave and chancel articulated by tall slim shafts rising from corbels and supporting hammer beam roof. Apse, nave and west end are panelled, apse incorporating four canopied niches. West end has panelled door in moulded 2-centred door arch flanked at outer edges by lancet windows and glazed cinquefoil in gable apex. Roof has arch braced hammer beams carry armorial shields at the beam ends; ceiling is of raking boards. FITTINGS: altar table flanked by chaplain's and reader's desks, low communion rail and original benches by F Fraser. Later seating has traceried pew ends and fronts of slender wrought iron rails incorporating bosses of various designs. All exposed surfaces of dado panelling and backs of seats carry brass plates giving the names of former students. Original eagle lectern by H Hems of Exeter and wall mounted pipe organ with crocketed cresting at west end. STAINED GLASS: apse glass by Morton and Co. of Liverpool



representing the Seven Virtues and based on a design by Sir J Reynolds for New College, Oxford. From the west the second and fourth north windows and all south windows have stained glass by Robert Anning Bell dating from 1897 to 1921. West end lancets are memorial windows.



Listing NGR: SJ2803777952

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
475778
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/12602/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Geoffrey Court. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected]HistoricEngland.org.uk.