BROOK MILL (FORMER NO. 3 TWIST MILL)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1388079

Date first listed: 25-Jul-1996

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Mar-2001

Statutory Address: BROOK MILL (FORMER NO. 3 TWIST MILL), THREADFOLD WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of BROOK MILL (FORMER NO. 3 TWIST MILL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388079 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:05:07.

Location

Statutory Address: BROOK MILL (FORMER NO. 3 TWIST MILL), THREADFOLD WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: SD7187213148

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLTON

SD71SW THREADFOLD WAY, Eagley 797-1/2/249 "Brook Mill" (Former 25/07/96 No.3 Twist Mill)

GV II

Cotton twist mill originally forming part of a large cotton works, and now in multiple industrial use. Dated 1887. Brick with rusticated stone basement end bands. Multi-ridge slate roof. Cast-iron, steel and concrete internal structure. EXTERIOR: 5 storeys, 14x6 bays. Stair tower recessed in centre of return wall, with off-set gabled porch and pedimented terracotta parapet to tower, with clock. Flat heads to windows of lower storeys, segmentally arched above, all recessed between pilasters. Cornice over 3rd storey. Loading bay to left in long north elevation, dated 1887. Engine house projects from NW angle (apparently 2 engine houses forming an L-shaped projection), and the boiler house adjoins this to the west. HISTORY: built as a twist mill in 1871 but rebult in 1887. Used mainly for finishing and winding until 1903, and then carrying out twisting and winding, transferred from the 1881 mill. Beyond the mill to the west, a 2-storeyed brick building may have been a warehouse or workshop originally. The mill is part of an important textile-working site established by the Chadwicks after 1820 on a previously developed site, which included at its height 5 mills and a bleaching and dyeing works, together with an associated planned community. The mills were devoted to smallwear weaving, sewing-cotton manufacture, twist bleaching and dyeing. The twist mill employs a distinctive architectural vocabulary and forms part of a strong visual grouping of mills on this prominent valley location.





Listing NGR: SD7187213148

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 476077

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing