KINGS HILL GAZEBO (S 186)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1388430
Date first listed:
13-Aug-1999
Statutory Address:
KINGS HILL GAZEBO (S 186), SOUTH YARD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388430.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Mar-2021 at 16:45:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
KINGS HILL GAZEBO (S 186), SOUTH YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Plymouth (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 45164 54042

Details

SX 4554 SW PLYMOUTH SOUTH YARD, Devonport Dockyard

740-1/98/213 Kings Hill gazebo (5 186)

GV II*

Gazebo. 1822. Rendered wood frame with a swept conical metal sheet roof. Single-room plan with 4 concave sides. EXTERIOR: single storey; 4-bay range. Gazebo has steeply concave sides and 8 timber fluted Doric columns to a circular entablature with shallow modillions, S clock, inscribed "TO PERPETUATE THE RECOLLECTION OF THE VISIT OF HIS MAJESTY GEORGE III OF BLESSED AND GLORIOUS MEMORY, AND OF HIS MAJESTY'S ADMIRATION OF THE ROCK ON WHICH IT STANDS, AND THE SCENE AROUND. THIS BUILDING WAS ERECTED IN THE YEAR 1822". French doors in each side have margin panes. The Kings Hill partly built up of large rubble blocks, has a statue of a female figure flanked by niches and with an iron cover over on the SE side. INTERIOR: plain octagonal interior. HISTORY: built to commemorate a visit by George III, on a piece of land left isolated by excavation for the South Yard, and indicating the former topography of the area. Part of a group with the gate and railings (qv) surrounding the hill, with a winding pebbled path. (Source: The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989: 652).



Listing NGR: SX4516454042

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
476441
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952), 652

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].