CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1388470

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BRANT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388470 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 06:51:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, BRANT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 96816 67902

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK96NE BRANT ROAD, Bracebridge 1941-1/5/46 (East side) 08/10/53 Church of All Saints

I

Church. C11, C13, C14. North aisle, north transept and vestry, and probably south porch, 1875, by J L Pearson. Tower raised and reroofed 1892 by C H Fowler. Restored 1895 and C20. Coursed rubble and dressed stone, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof. Coped gables with crosses. PLAN: west tower, nave, north and south aisles, north transept, vestry, chancel, south porch. EXTERIOR: west tower, 2 stages, has long-and-short quoins, string course, south-east buttress and pyramidal roof. To west, a round headed doorway and above it a round headed light. To south, a renewed C13 double lancet. Bell stage has double round headed openings on each side with round shafts and various early Romanesque capitals. North aisle, 2 bays, has to left a C19 5-light window with hoodmould, and to right a reset C11 blocked door. West end has a stepped-headed C19 4-light window. South aisle, 4 bays, has to the right of the porch 2 single plain lancets and to their right a C14 ogee headed 3-light window, all with hoodmoulds. East end has a C14 ogee headed 2-light window. West end has a reset rectangular window and a small lancet above it. North transept gable has 2 lancets. Lean-to vestry has a large stepped gabled side wall stack, flanked by a C13 style door and a 2-light window. East end has a transomed 2-light window with hoodmould. Chancel, 3 bays, has a stepped 3-light window at the east end and 3 single lancets to south. Decorated style south porch has a slab roof and cusped openings with shafts. Inside, a rib vault and restored C11 doorway with dogtooth band. INTERIOR has a C11 tower arch with imposts and glazed wooden screen, 1968. Nave arcades, C13 and 1875, 3 bays, have round piers with 4 ringed shafts, keeled responds and double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds. C19 arch braced crown post roof. North aisle has north and west end stained glass windows, 1888, and a segmental pointed arch at the east end. South aisle has stained glass east window, 1883, with a plain bracket to the right. South side has a stained glass east window, late C19, and a chamfered C14 tomb recess. To west, a memorial window, 1917. Both aisles have C19 lean-to roofs with



arch braces. North transept has a chamfered and moulded arch to east, with a glazed wooden screen. Common rafter roof with collars. Chancel has a narrow C11 arch with imposts, flanked by single large squints. North side has a 2-bay C19 arcade similar to the nave arcades, with organ pipes in the left opening and a glazed wooden screen in the right. East end has a panelled oak reredos, c1920, and a stained glass window, 1909. South side has a C11 piscina and a C13 pointed-trefoiled double sedilia. C19 arch braced roof with collars and spine beam. FITTINGS include a C12 round font with interlaced arcading and renewed round stem with 4 shafts. C19 half-round traceried stone pulpit. C19 stalls and benches with shaped ends. Reading desk, 1917. Good late C18 brass chandeliers. MEMORIALS include a late C18 chest tomb with enriched panelled sides. Triptych war memorial, pre-Raphaelite style, c1920. 3 early C20 tablets. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 527).





Listing NGR: SK9681667902

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485915

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 527

End of official listing