JUDGES LODGING AND ATTACHED RAILING

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388484

Date first listed: 09-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: JUDGES LODGING AND ATTACHED RAILING, 5, CASTLE HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of JUDGES LODGING AND ATTACHED RAILING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388484 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jan-2019 at 06:34:56.

Location

Statutory Address: JUDGES LODGING AND ATTACHED RAILING, 5, CASTLE HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 97605 71830

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE CASTLE HILL 1941-1/9/68 (North side) 09/10/53 No.5 Judges' Lodging and attached railing

GV II*

Judges' lodging. c1810. By William Hayward. Yellow stock brick with stone dressings and hipped slate roof. EXTERIOR: plinth, eaves cornice, coped parapet. 2 storeys, 9 bays. Projecting pedimented centre, 3 bays, with central stone doorcase with entablature and 2 Tuscan columns in antis. Fielded panelled double doors with fanlight. Above, a central glazing bar sash, flanked by round headed niches. In the pediment, the Royal arms in Coade stone. The wings have 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor, with brick flat arches. INTERIOR: central entrance hall rising full height, containing a cantilevered wooden open well staircase with 2 stick balusters per tread, and ramped scrolled handrail. Ground floor has a dentilled cornice, and at the rear, a moulded elliptical arched doorway with double doors with shaped glass panels. Dining room, to right, has chair rail, frieze, moulded cornice, mid C19 marble fireplace, and shutters. At one end, and elliptical arched recess with moulded surround and blank fanlight. Drawing room, to left, of similar design, has panelled wainscot and walls, and painted slate fireplace with overmantel mirror. First floor landing and bedrooms have moulded cornices and 6-panel doors. Right bedroom has a mid C19 marble fireplace. Outside, attached iron railing has stepped stone plinth, curved ends and central double gate. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 517).





Listing NGR: SK9760571830

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485929

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 517

End of official listing