2, EXCHEQUERGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388539

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1969

Statutory Address: 2, EXCHEQUERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 2, EXCHEQUERGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 09:42:23.

Location

Statutory Address: 2, EXCHEQUERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 97657 71801

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE EXCHEQUERGATE 1941-1/9/117 (South side) 02/10/69 No.2

GV II*

House, now a shop and offices, incorporating a late C15 timber framed partition and stone south wall. Late C15, rebuilt 1834-48. Brick and coursed rubble with stucco front, and gabled and hipped slate and pantile roofs with a gable stack. Plinth and first floor band. 3 storeys, 2 bays. L-plan. To left, a renewed mid C19 wooden shopfront with a central doorway flanked by single windows, all under a fascia and cornice. Beyond, to left, a C20 half-glazed door. To right, a C19 shop window flanked by single doorways with keystones, that to left altered to form a showcase. Above, 2 canted wooden oriel windows with plain sashes. Above again, 3 plain sashes. INTERIOR has a close studded partition wall with an arch brace to the end post. Late C15 moulded wall plate and spine beam. This building incorporates significant remains of a range of shop units forming the south side of the Exchequergate barbican in medieval times. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 484; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Lincoln: 1987-: 92-101).





Listing NGR: SK9765771801

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 485984

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, , Major, , Varley, , The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln (2nd fascicule), (1987), 92-101
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 484

End of official listing