CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1388540
Date first listed:
08-Oct-1953
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, EXCHEQUERGATE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388540.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 02:48:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, EXCHEQUERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97659 71824

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE EXCHEQUERGATE 1941-1/9/115 (North side) 08/10/53 Church of St Mary Magdalene

GV II

Church. Late C13, rebuilt 1695 and remodelled 1882 by G F Bodley. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roof. Decorated style. PLAN: north-west tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, north aisle, vestry. EXTERIOR: square tower, 3 stages, has a renewed crenellated parapet with remains of gargoyles. To west, a doorway with hoodmould and single shafts. Above it, a 3-light window with hoodmould. Above again, a 2-light flat headed opening with ogee headed lights. Nave and chancel, 7 bays, has chamfered plinth, coped parapet and gables with crosses. West end has a C17 elliptical arched doorway with cornice and panelled double doors. Above, a 2-light window with shields in the blocked lower lights, and on either side, a niche, all with linked hoodmoulds. South side has, to left, 2 blocked flat headed windows c1695, and to right, five C19 2-light windows with flowing tracery and hoodmoulds. East end has a stepped sill band and a 5-light ogee headed window. Vestry has four C13 style single lancets. INTERIOR: nave has a 5 bay arcade with fillet moulded quatrefoil piers, double chamfered arches and hoodmoulds. Moulded sill band with fleurons. Pointed barrel vaulted wooden roof with stencilled decoration. North aisle has a panelled dado, sill band, 2 stained glass windows and stencilled panelled ceiling. Panelled organ case by Bodley at east end. Chancel has a Perpendicular style oak screen by Bodley, stencilled panelled dado with frieze, sill band to south and east. North side has organ pipes on a carved wooden corbel. East end has a carved wooden gradine and a stained glass window, C19, with moulded surround. South side has 2 stained glass windows, 1911. Roof similar to nave, with more elaborate decoration. FITTINGS include C19 traceried panelled octagonal oak pulpit and font with mask corbels, brass lectern, and chairs. C20 panelled stalls and bookstands. MEMORIALS include four C19 marble and slate tablets and four C20 brasses. Round headed marble and slate war memorial tablet, 1921. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 498).



Listing NGR: SK9765971824

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
485985
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 498
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/54082

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12789/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Godson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].