CHURCH OF ST HELEN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388566

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HALL DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST HELEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388566 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 06:23:21.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST HELEN, HALL DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 96460 69090

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK96NE HALL DRIVE, Boultham Park 1941-1/5/141 (South side) 08/10/53 Church of St Helen

GV II*

Church. C13. Chancel rebuilt 1864 by Michael Drury. Nave extended and restored 1887 by C H Fowler. Dressed stone and ashlar with slate roofs and a side wall stack. Nave with western bellcote, and chancel. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinths and eaves, coped gables with crosses. Nave, 3 bays, has buttressed north side with 2 flat headed Decorated windows and to their right, a smaller 4-centred arched window. South side has 2 buttresses and 2 mid C14 ogee headed 2-light windows. To left, a small single lancet. West end has a central C19 4-centred arched door with flat head, and above it, a Decorated 2-light window, both with hoodmoulds. Above again, a square wooden bellcote, shingled, with louvred openings, topped with a concave sided octagonal spire with weathercock. Chancel, 2 bays, has on either side a central buttress flanked by single lancets. East end has angle buttresses and a 3-light window with Geometrical tracery, hoodmould and mask stops. Above it, a trefoil containing a crest. INTERIOR: nave has a blocked south arcade, C13, 2 bays, with an octagonal pier with 4 detached shafts. Octagonal responds with nailhead bands, and double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and mask stops. Two mid C19 stained glass windows. North-west window has stained glass and brass c1914. Panelled barrel vaulted wooden roof with bosses. West end has a C19 2 storey gallery with traceried balustrade and winder stair. Chancel has a double chamfered arch, C13, with octagonal responds and capitals. Single windows to north, south and east, with late C19 stained glass. Principal rafter roof with arch braces on corbels. FITTINGS include a good square baluster shaped font, C18, inscribed "Boultham Church", and a desk with reused C18 fleur-de-lys ends. C19 fittings include octagonal oak skeleton pulpit, traceried stalls, wrought-iron altar rail and plain octagonal font. MEMORIALS include 2 tablets, mid C19, and 3 brasses c1900, all to the Ellison family of Boultham Hall. Brass war memorial tablet, 1919. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 526).



Listing NGR: SK9646069090

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 486011

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 526

End of official listing