268, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388582

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Dec-1999

Statutory Address: 268, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 268, HIGH STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388582 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 17:45:06.

Location

Statutory Address: 268, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 97600 71482

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771SE HIGH STREET 1941-1/12/162 (East side) 08/10/53 No.268 (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (East side) No.268 Halifax Building society)

GV II*

Formerly known as: The Cardinal's Hatte HIGH STREET. Public house, now offices. Late C15, restored 1952. Close studded timber framing with dressed stone and C20 brick underbuild, rendered nogging, plain tile and pantile roofs. 2 jettied floors, the upper one with a billeted bressumer, moulded angle shafts, diagonal braces and coved eaves. High Street front has a central recessed glazed door flanked by single glazing bar windows, all C20. Above, a continuous range of cusped leaded lights and a central square oriel window, 4 lights. Above again, 2 projecting leaded windows, 4 lights, and a replica wrought-iron sign bracket. South side, to Grantham Street, has a framed gable to the left with a central leaded casement on each floor. To the right, a stone rear wing, 3 bays, with C19 and C20 fenestration and a C19 doorcase to the right. INTERIOR not inspected. This building was formerly the Cardinal's Hat Inn, and had a courtyard layout. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 519-520).







Listing NGR: SK9760071482

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 486027

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 519-520

End of official listing