CHURCH OF ST MARY LE WIGFORD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1388597

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY LE WIGFORD, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY LE WIGFORD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388597 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 22:28:08.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY LE WIGFORD, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 97495 70949

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9770NW HIGH STREET 1941-1/14/174 (East side) 08/10/53 Church of St Mary le Wigford

GV I

Church. C11, C12, C13. South aisle 1877 by Leach of Cambridge. Restored 1872 by R C Clarke of Nottingham. Tower restored by Watkins & Son, 1908. Additions and alterations 1975. Dressed stone and coursed rubble, with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Nave and aisles have coped gables. PLAN: west tower, nave and chancel under continuous roof, aisles, north chapel, vestry. EXTERIOR: west tower, C11, 2 stages, has quoins, string course and eaves band, and crenellated parapet. To west, restored doorway, now a window, with imposts and checkered hoodmould. To its right, a reset stone with Roman and Anglo-Saxon inscriptions. Above it, 2 round headed windows and above them, a clock. Recessed bell stage has round headed twin openings with mid wall shafts and various C11 capitals. Nave has at the west end small buttresses flanking the tower. East end has 3 buttresses, moulded plinth and sill band, and 2 single lancets with hoodmoulds and stops. Above them, a pointed quatrefoil with moulded surround. North aisle and chapel, C13, 4 bays, has dentilled eaves and sill band to north-east, and a C19 side wall stack. 4 buttresses, those to the west being larger. South side has, to east, 2 flat headed Perpendicular 3-light windows. To their right, 2 similar windows, C19 and C14. Renewed doorway with C20 leaded hood. East and west ends have Decorated 3-light windows with hoodmoulds. East end has a diagonal buttress. South aisle, 4 bays, has buttresses and stepped sill band. Reset C13 moulded south door with double shafts. To its right, 2 altered 3-light windows with intersecting tracery. At the east end, a similar window. To south, C20 vestry with a reset C13 roll moulded arch with shafts and scallop capitals, and 2 interlace panels. These are said to be from the churches of St Benedict and St Mark. INTERIOR has C19 panelled barrel vaulted roofs throughout. Chamfered tower arch has a C20 glazed screen. Above it, a round headed doorway. North arcade, C13, 3 bays, has concave sided octagonal piers with 4 ringed shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. Double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds and stops. South arcade, C19, has plain octagonal piers and capitals. Chancel has double chamfered arch with hoodmould and keeled



responds with stiff-leaf capitals. Screen wall with wrought-iron railing and gate. North side has a 2 bay arcade with cruciform central pier with detached shafts, keeled responds, double chamfered arches with hoodmoulds, and C19 traceried iron screen. Arcaded east end has ringed shafts and moulded sill band. Stained glass windows, 1877, by Clayton & Bell. South side has a gabled piscina and aumbry, tomb recess containing a seat, and organ opening. North aisle has a C13 doorway with keeled roll moulding and shafts. Roll moulded window surrounds with filleted shafts. Reset stained glass north-east window, mid C19. North chapel has an early C14 keel moulded tomb recess with an effigy. East window has a keel moulded surround and stained glass, 1865. To its left, and ogee headed aumbry. South aisle has a blocked double chamfered arch to east, with a C20 screen and door. FITTINGS include a C15 buttressed octagonal font, 2 brass lecterns, traceried stalls and desks, all C19. Brass chandelier c1720. MEMORIALS include and alabaster chest tomb, 1618, possibly by Maximilian Colt to Sir Thomas Grantham, with 2 effigies and shields in quatrefoils. Reset late C16 floor slab. Two late C18 and 2 mid C19 tablets. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 497-498).





Listing NGR: SK9749570949

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 486042

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 497-498

End of official listing