GRAVELEY PLACE AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388657

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: GRAVELEY PLACE AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALL, 12, MINSTER YARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GRAVELEY PLACE AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388657 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 18:45:25.

Location

Statutory Address: GRAVELEY PLACE AND ADJOINING GARDEN WALL, 12, MINSTER YARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 97967 71777

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE MINSTER YARD 1941-1/9/234 (East side) 08/10/53 No.12 Graveley Place and adjoining garden wall

GV II*

House and adjoining garden wall. Early C14, late C17 and late C19. Coursed and squared rubble and brick, with stone dressings and plain tile roof. External front wall stone stack with 2 square brick flues set diagonally, and cruciform brick ridge stack. Plinth and quoins. 2 storeys plus attics, 3 bays. L-plan. C19 fenestration. Front has a slightly off-centre moulded wood doorcase with cornice and part-glazed 6-panel door, set in a former carriage entrance with a wooden lintel and two C14 mask corbels. To its left, a blocked doorway, C14. Beyond, on either side, a stone mullioned window, 3 lights. Above, two cusped stone mullioned windows, 3 lights, and to right, a similar window, 2 lights. Above again, 2 gabled dormers with 2-light casements. INTERIOR has dogleg stair with square newels and stick balusters, with a winder stair on the second floor. Double purlin principal rafter roof with wind braces. Outside, at the rear, north garden wall, c1300, formerly part of the north range. Coursed squared stone with pantile coping. Approx. 2m high and 15m long. The building is named after John Graveley, who lived there 1466-1473. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 492; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Lincoln: 1984-: 66-73).





Listing NGR: SK9796771777

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 486118

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Jones, , Major, , Varley, , The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln (1st fascicule), (1984), 66-73
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 492

End of official listing