SK97SE MONKS ROAD
1941-1/2/269 (South side)
02/10/69 Church of All Saints and attached
Sunday School and railing
Parish church with attached Sunday School and railing. 1903.
By Hodgson Fowler. St Hugh's Chapel and decoration early C20,
by Ninian Comper. Brick with stone dressings and plain tile
roof. Early Decorated style.
PLAN: nave and chancel under continuous roof, aisles, vestry,
sacristy, bell tower, Sunday school.
EXTERIOR: mainly pointed arched windows. Chamfered plinth,
sill bands, lintel band and hoodmould, rebated eaves, coped
gables with kneelers and crosses.
Nave west end has 4 buttresses and three 2-light windows.
Chamfered square light above. Clerestory has on each side,
five 3-light windows. Octagonal-spired sanctus bellcote.
North aisle, 4 bays, has buttresses and 4 windows. To west, a
gabled porch with a pair of doors and a central pier. To east,
a moulded doorway. West end has a 2-light window. Similar
south aisle has 5 single lancets.
Chancel east end has a single gabled flanking buttress and a
5-light window with tracery, ogee head, hoodmould and mask
stops. South side has a flat headed 3-light window, and above
it, a pointed 3-light window.
North transept gable has a 4-light window with tracery.
South transept gable has a buttress and a square stair turret
to left. To right, 2 small windows, and above, a rose window.
East side has a 2-light window.
Former north vestry, now St Hugh's Chapel, has a 2-light
window and an ogee headed doorway.
Vestry, to north-east, has coped parapet, ogee headed door to
north, and a 3-light window with hoodmould to east.
Sacristy and Lady Chapel has mullioned windows and doorway to
Bell tower, to south-west, 2 stages, has a pyramidal roof and
a single window to east. Above, bell openings to east and
west, all with pointed heads.
Adjoining Sunday School has west gable with bargeboard and 2
segment headed stone cross casements.
INTERIOR: nave has 5-bay arcades with fillet moulded
quatrefoil piers, moulded arches with hoodmoulds and stops,
clerestory sill band, and arch-braced principal rafter roof.
West end has panelling with central figure on bracket, and C19
stained glass window.
Aisles have arch braced lean-to roofs with bosses, and glazed
porches at the west ends. All windows have stained glass by
Comper. North aisle east end has a stilted arch. South aisle
east end has a shouldered arch with tympanum by Comper, and a
figure on a bracket to the right.
Chancel has a multiple fillet moulded arch, clustered shafts
and hoodmould. Stepped coped screen wall and railing. North
side has 2 archways, that to the left with a traceried glazed
screen. East end has panelled dado and oak reredos by Fowler,
decorated by Comper. Stained glass window. South side has to
east a piscina and a seat in a segment headed recess. To
right, a traceried organ case with console on gallery. 2
stained glass windows. Barrel vaulted wooden roof with
stencilled decoration. North transept has stained glass north
Chapel of St Hugh has 2 western arches with a figure of St
Hugh on a bracket on the central pier. North and east windows
by Comper, 1937, that to east flanked by single figures and by
aumbry and piscina. Painted wooden altarpiece by Comper.
FITTINGS include an altar slab from Bardney Abbey, traceried
octagonal oak pulpit and sounding board by Fowler, wooden
lectern, stalls, benches and desks, all C19. Rood by Comper.
Chancel and north transept windows by Clayton & Bell.
Octagonal sandstone font with clustered stem, C19. 2
crenellated brass floor candlesticks.
MEMORIALS include a marble and slate war memorial tablet,
Outside, a dwarf boundary wall with stepped coping and
spearhead railing, on east, west and north sides.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 495-496).
Listing NGR: SK9852071406
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.