Details
LINCOLN SK9771SE MONKS ROAD
1941-1/12/268 (South side)
08/07/91 Church of St Hugh and attached
vestry GV II Roman Catholic church. 1893. By Albert Vicars. Rockfaced stone
with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Early English style.
Mainly pointed arched windows.
PLAN: north-west tower with spire, nave with aisles,
clerestory and double side chapels, canted apsidal east end,
west porch, attached vestry to north.
EXTERIOR: north-west tower has double chamfered plinth,
moulded string courses and arcaded corbel table. Angle
buttresses up to the second stage, becoming octagonal turrets
topped with pinnacles above. Half-round conical roofed stair
turret to east. West side has a 2-light window with hoodmould
and above it, an empty niche. North side has a similar window,
with 2 single lancets above it. Second stage has a quatrefoil
light to north and west. Bell stage has on each side paired
louvred openings with shafts. Setback octagonal spire with
cross.
Nave, 6 bays, has plain pilasters, coped gable with cross, and
south-west angle buttress topped with an arcaded square
pinnacle. West end has a 5-light window with tracery, and
above it, a blind arcade. Clerestory has on each side, 2
lancets in each bay.
North aisle has 3 single lancets and an off-centre lean-to
side chapel. South aisle has to left 2 small buttresses. To
their right, 2 lancets, and a lean-to projection with 3 round
windows. To right again, a porch with coped gable and a canted
side chapel with 2 lancets.
Major side chapels, to east, have coped gables and square
headed windows, 2 to west, single to east.
Canted apse has angle buttresses and 3 single lancets with
trefoil heads.
West porch has coped gable with cross and canopied niche
containing a figure of St Hugh. Single angle buttress. 2
pointed arched moulded doorways with shafts and relief scenes
in the tympana.
INTERIOR: nave has 5-bay arcades with round piers, double
chamfered arches with hoodmoulds, and barrel vaulted wooden
roof with round wall shafts on corbels. West end has 2 doors
flanked by single windows, and stained glass memorial window,
1921.
Aisles have lean-to roofs with wall shafts, and a doorway at
each end, those to east with a pointed opening above
containing organ pipes. Both have stained glass windows, C19
and C20. North aisle has an off-centre segmental pointed
opening to a side chapel, with ogee crested canopied gradine.
To its left, 3 doorways.
South aisle has a similar chapel with canopied and crested
gradine, and to its right, single and double doors to
confessionals. Side chapels have stained glass windows.
East end has double chamfered arch with round responds on
foliage corbels. Below them, figures on brackets. Apse has
moulded band and mosaic dado. In each side, a double chamfered
archway with wooden screen to north and organ to south. Arch
braced tie beam roof with central octagonal post. Elaborate
Decorated style crested reredos with crocketed canopies and
spires.
FITTINGS include panelled stalls, desks and benches, and
arcaded octagonal stone pulpit, all C19. Memorials include a
wreathed brass tablet, 1908.
(Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire:
London: 1989-: 500-501). Listing NGR: SK9784071388
Legacy
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number:
486154
Legacy System:
LBS
Sources
Books and journals Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 500-501
Legal
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official list entry
Print the official list entry