CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1388727
Date first listed:
02-Aug-1969
Date of most recent amendment:
02-Oct-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, NEWPORT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388727 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2019 at 21:10:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, NEWPORT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
Lincoln (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 97689 72452

Details

LINCOLN

SK9772SE NEWPORT 1941-1/7/300 (East side) 02/10/69 Church of St Nicholas

GV II

Parish church. 1839. By Sir GG Scott and WB Moffatt, and said to be their first church. Restored, and baptistry added, 1879-90. Chancel and north aisle 1908, by CH Fowler. Dressed stone and brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Early English and early Decorated styles. Pointed arched windows. PLAN: south-west tower with spire, nave and chancel with clerestory under continuous roof, aisles, transepts and vestries. EXTERIOR: chamfered plinth, buttresses, eaves and string course, coped gables with crosses. Tower, 3 stages, has angle buttresses, chamfered plinth, and string courses. To west, a double rebated doorway with hoodmould, and above it, 2 windows with hoodmoulds. South side has a blocked 2-light window. Second stage has a single lancet to west and south. Bell stage has blind arcaded south and west sides, with 2-light bell openings with shafts. North and east sides have similar plain openings. All have hoodmoulds. Octagonal spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes and a weather vane. Nave west end has a sill band and a single buttress to north. Roll moulded doorway with shafts and hoodmould. Above, 3 stepped lancets with shafts and linked hoodmould, and above, a round window. Clerestory, 4 bays, has pilasters and dentilled eaves. On each side, 4 lancets. Chancel, 2 bays, has to north a lancet to east and a side wall stack. East end has sill band, and a stepped triple lancet with hoodmould. South side has sill band, and 4 windows with linked hoodmoulds. North aisle, 5 bays, has five 2-light windows plus one in the west end, all with Decorated tracery and hoodmoulds. South aisle, 4 bays, has four 2-light windows with linked hoodmoulds. North transept has 2 lancets. South transept has 2 lancets to east, and to south, a doorway and a stepped triple lancet, all with hoodmoulds. Vestry, to north-east in a blocked archway, has flat roof and parapet and a lancet to north. INTERIOR: nave has 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, double chamfered arches, and shaft imposts to west. Clerestory sill



band and panelled gabled ceiling. Chancel, without arch, has sill band and stepped impost band. Coped screen wall with wrought-iron railing and gates. North side has a blocked archway. East end has a late C19 stained glass window. South side has a piscina. Ribbed and panelled barrel vaulted roof with billeted wall plate. North aisle has at the west end, a baptistry with sill band and blind arcade, 4 bays, resited from the east end. Double chamfered half-arch at east end, and roof with arch braces. South aisle has stained glass south-east window, 1926, and chamfered doorway to tower at west end. East end has stilted arch to transept. Plain lean-to roof. North transept has double chamfered arch containing organ. Similar south transept has traceried wooden screen and reredos, and stained-glass south and east windows, 1889 and 1879. Both transepts have plain double purlin roofs. FITTINGS C19, include octagonal font, octagonal oak skeleton pulpit with sounding board, panelled oak stalls and plain benches. MEMORIALS include brasses, 1901 and 1928. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 499).





Listing NGR: SK9768972452

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486188
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 499

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/17134/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].