4, POTTERGATE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1388736

Date first listed: 08-Oct-1953

Statutory Address: 4, POTTERGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of 4, POTTERGATE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1388736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 17:52:49.

Location

Statutory Address: 4, POTTERGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: Lincoln (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 97994 71741

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LINCOLN

SK9771NE POTTERGATE 1941-1/9/309 (East side) 08/10/53 No.4

GV II*

House. C14 and C15, with mid C17 additions, altered c1760 and C19. Dressed stone and coursed rubble, with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs with single gable, ridge and side wall brick stacks. Chamfered eaves. 2 storeys, 3 bays. L-plan. West front has an off-centre moulded doorcase, restored, with four-centred arch and hoodmould. Unusual late C19 door with hexagonal glazed panels. To its right, a blocked segmental carriage arch with hoodmould and mask stops, containing a C15 2-light window with flat head and hoodmould. To the left, 2 glazing bar sashes. Rear has a gabled wing to left with shaped bargeboards and a 3-light casement. Above, a glazing bar sash in an altered opening with wooden lintel. To the right, a canted bay window, late C19, and above, 3 glazing bar sashes. INTERIOR has a first floor room with C17 framed panelling and window seats. CEP Charlesworth, pioneer in the treatment of insanity, lived here 1820-1834. From c1400 till c1726, this building formed a single property with 5 Pottergate, qv. (Buildings of England : Lincolnshire: Pevsner N: Lincolnshire: London: 1989-: 491; Jones S: The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln: Lincoln: 1984-: 74-95; Report and overall assessment of listable quality: Hewlings R: Secular properties..... in Lincoln Minster Close: London: 1987-).





Listing NGR: SK9799471741

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 486197

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hewlings, R, Secular properties in Lincoln Minster Close, (1987)
Jones, , Major, , Varley, , The Survey of Ancient Houses in Lincoln (1st fascicule), (1984), 74-95
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, Antram, N, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1989), 491

End of official listing