ST MARK'S INFANT SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389136
Date first listed:
23-Jan-2001
Statutory Address:
ST MARK'S INFANT SCHOOL, BATTERSEA RISE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARK'S INFANT SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389136 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 12:12:58.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARK'S INFANT SCHOOL, BATTERSEA RISE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27244 75094

Details



TQ2775 BATTERSEA RISE 1207/9/10120 (North side) 23-JAN-01 St Mark's Infant School

GV II



Church elementary school. 1866-7 to the designs of Benjamin Ferry, at the expense of Philip Cazenove on land donated by Earl Spencer, Lord of the Manor. Stock brick with red brick bands, tiled half-hipped roof, with large polygonal stacks set in angle and at rear. Irregular plan on site apex site. Single storey. Roof projects over dentiled eaves. Large timber casement windows with square panes to schoolroom in end walls project into gable, and are set within polychromatic pointed recesses. One of these, to road, is inscribed `ST MARK'S SCHOOL 1866'. Windows in rear elevations renewed. Doors in projecting porches, one within pointed arch, one renewed.

Interior not inspected but noted to contain single large school room with open timber roof, into which a suspended ceiling of no interest has been included.

St Mark's School is a rare and little altered example of a diminutive church school in London, whose building coincides with the development of Clapham Junction in the 1860s. Benjamin Ferry was among the leading church architects of his day and he may have supposed that the subsequent commission for St Mark's Church, which the school adjoins, may have come his way. Instead it went to William White, a slightly younger and more radical architect in the Gothic style and the two buildings form a fine group.

Sources The Builder, 9 February 1867, p.1000 Emily Cole, Historical Analysis and Research Team, Reports and Papers no. 42, 2000

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
486730
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'The Builder' in 9 February, (1867)
Other
Cole, Emily , Historical Analysis and Research Team, Reports and Papers number 42, (2000)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].