CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389257
Date first listed:
12-Jul-2001
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, LONSDALE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389257.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Jul-2020 at 14:18:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, LONSDALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 50848 09264

Details



612/0/10077 LONSDALE ROAD 12-JUL-01 Church of St Michael and All Angels

II



Anglican Church. 1909. Alfred Mardon Mowbray (1849-1915). Coursed ragstone with stone dressings with brick originally temporary west end. Early English style.

PLAN: One bay aisled nave (four bays intended) with two further bays that open to wide and deep transepts to north and south. Deep chancel of three bays, same width as nave flanked by low arcaded aisles to Lady Chapel at southeast and two-level service area to southwest with vestry below and organ loft above reached by stair from north transept.

ELEVATIONS: South: Projecting transept with steeply pitched roof and round quatrefoil above pair of large pointed arch windows each with three quatrefoils above two pairs of lancets framed by stone hood-moulds that step down to meet stone buttresses. Lower Lady Chapel also with buttresses and lancets with hood-moulds arranged in sets of 3. Chancel wall above Lady Chapel has three lancets to each bay. West: Brick with 4 high brick buttresses. North: Projecting transept with windows that match south elevation. Wall to chancel has three high lancets to each bay. East elevation: Large window with cinquefoil at centre top with five lancets below. Lady Chapel separate at exterior. Bellcote over crossing. Stone plaque marked, 'February 11 1909'

INTERIOR: Tall nave and chancel with transepts of almost equal height to the nave that together with the high pointed arch nave arcading with slender stone piers suggests a hall church. Wood, 5-part ceilings throughout with wood ribs to stone wall shafts out of the compound piers. High chancel arch spans the width of the nave. Chancel with shallow steps to altar. At west end, long and low half-arches to aisled bay of nave separating aisle from transepts. Wide arch to Lady Chapel from south transept with 1921 war memorial window to east end set in stone altarpiece with carved angel busts. Stone font.

Listing NGR: SP5084509269

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
487892
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].