CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389377
Date first listed:
14-Aug-2001
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389377.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:47:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
North Elmsall
National Grid Reference:
SE 47668 12741

Details

NORTH ELMSALL

1497/0/10006 CHURCH OF ST MARGARET 14-AUG-01 GV II

Parish church. 1897. Designed by A H Hoole of London and paid for by Mrs Georgina Longueville-Jones. Nave and chancel under a single roof, west lean-to baptistery and porch, Lady Chapel to south, gabled vestry and organ wing to north with octagonal bell tower. Calverly stone with Ancaster stone dressings and plain tile roofs. Quoins, moulded plinth, cill band, moulded eaves cornice and coped gables with kneelers and cross finials. Lean-to west porch has pointed arched south doorway with double plank doors with ornate iron hinges. West facade has 3 buttresses with single lancet windows between, and set back above a fine circular window with wheel tracery. East facade has a single lancet in unusual surround. South facade has two 2-light plate tracery windows to the nave, each with a buttress to left. Lady Chapel has angle buttresses, graduated triple lancet window in west gable and a double and a triple lancet to the south, plus 2-light plate tracery window to east gable. Chancel has canted apse to east with diagonal buttresses and single tall lancet windows; the central east face is blank. North facade has vestry and organ projection to left has triple lancet window below and circular window above with wheel tracery. West side has single priest's doorway and octagonal stair tower. Tower has small lancets lighting stairs; top stage bell chamber has single pointed arched opening to each face topped with a stone spire. Nave has a single lancet and two 2-light pointed arch windows with plate tracery with buttresses between. INTERIOR has fine carved reredos with painted and gilded plaster figures. Alabaster altar. Original wooden altar rail, choir stalls, organ case, pulpit and pews. Elaborate wooden rood screen and plainer side screens. South Lady Chapel has stone vault. Marble bust of patron, Mrs Longueville-Jones, stands on marble column in vestry.

Listing NGR: SE4766812738

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488035
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].