CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389490
Date first listed:
14-Nov-2001
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, GALLEY COMMON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389490.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 17:10:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, GALLEY COMMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Nuneaton and Bedworth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 31768 92154

Details



1727/0/10025 GALLEY COMMON 14-NOV-01 Church of St Peter

II



Church. 1909 by P. Morley Horder. Roughcast hollow terracotta blocks and steel stanchions. Clay plain tile roof with moulded pedimental gable ends. PLAN: 7-bay nave and chancel under one roof and narrow north and south aisles with porches at the 'west' ends and a vestry at the 'east' end of the north aisle. Domestic Revival style. EXTERIOR: Nave roof carried down to low eaves over aisles which have 3-light casements with glazing bars and small cornices. Gabled 'transepts' and west front gable end with moulded pedimental gables, the west gable with 4-light pilastered windows and porches on left and right returns. Truncated bellcote on ridge crossing. INTERIOR: Spacious timber interior with arcades with open arches and curved braces to collars of king-post trusses; arcading over wall-plate of 'crossing' bay and arcaded screen at 'east' end. Exposed pink terracotta block walls. NOTE: The site was given by the Hickman family, owners of the local Haunchwood Colliery. The Church of St Peter is an interesting economically built mission church designed by a distinguished Arts and Crafts architect.

Listing NGR: SP3176792156

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488172
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].