LEICESTER HEBREW CONGREGATION

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1389696
Date first listed:
31-Jan-2002
Statutory Address:
LEICESTER HEBREW CONGREGATION, HIGHFIELD STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEICESTER HEBREW CONGREGATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1389696.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 17:42:04.

Location

Statutory Address:
LEICESTER HEBREW CONGREGATION, HIGHFIELD STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Leicester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK5979303793

Details



718/0/10169 31-JAN-02

HIGHFIELD STREET Leicester Hebrew Congregation

II

Synagogue. 1897-8. By Arthur Wakerley. Schoolrooms wing of 1901 by same architect. Red brick with stone dressings and parapeted slate roof. Polygonal plan with square main space canted towards the Ark apse. Projecting central tower to entrance front with school and ancillary rooms in wing to left. Byzantine style with round-arched windows with leaded glazing. 2 storeys and basement and 3-storey tower. Entrance front is a 7-window range in all at first floor with a pair of round-arched windows to the main block either side 3 similar windows in the projecting tower. A pair of windows either side to ground floor with a central round-arched doorway in the tower. This has steps up and a many moulded surround to the double doors and fanlight. Above the arch are a stone hood mould and the Ma Tovu inscription in Hebrew with chronogram. The top storey of the tower has 3 windows each side with moulded pilasters at the corners and a prominent corbel table. There is a curving parapet, behind which rises the copper-covered onion dome with octagonal lantern on top, itself with onion dome and finial. The right side of the main block has round-arched windows to both storeys and the left is similar but for a late C20 carefully designed fire-escape projection. The rear is canted with the Ark apse projecting beyond the short end. A wing projecting to left, originally the schoolrooms, of 1901 contains the ancillary rooms and has similar round-arched windows: front is a 4-window range to both floors under a curved gable. INTERIOR. The very little altered interior retains the women's gallery and seating at the west, entrance, end supported on cast-iron columns with stairs from the entrance hall. Ark of Spanish mahogany in east apse flanked by wardens' boxes and pulpit. Stained glass window above the Ark flanked by marble Luhot tablets. Elaborate central Bimah complete with original electroliers. Numbered pews surround it. Coloured glass in windows. Mikveh, renovated in 1984, in basement. Schoolrooms contain large memorial boards with details of donations to the congregation. A well-designed, finely-detailed and virtually unaltered example of a synagogue of the period. Newman, Aubrey and Lidiker, Patricia, Portrait of a Community: A History of Leicester Hebrew Congregation, Leicester, 1998.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
488423
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].