CHURCH OF ST MARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390289
Date first listed:
14-Feb-2002
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, POPESWOOD ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390289.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:16:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARK, POPESWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bracknell Forest (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Binfield
National Grid Reference:
SU 84513 70064

Details

BINFIELD

SU87SW POPESWOOD ROAD 674-1/11/84 (West side) Church of St Mark

GV II

Includes: Church of St Mark ST MARKS ROAD. Chapel of Ease, now church. 1867, by Sir Arthur Blomfield, extended 1875; restored in 1958 by Frederick Etchells after a fire in 1956; extended late C20. MATERIALS: Red brick in English bond with horizontal bands of dark bricks; tile, gabled roof. PLAN: aisled 6-bay nave with clerestory, north transept with organ, south transept with vestry, and extension on west end; one bay chancel. EXTERIOR: weathered plinth, moulded with roll mould. Lancet windows with pointed arches of red and black bricks. The heads of the windows in the aisles are of stone. Nave, north side: gabled transept; 2 windows at lower level, large rose window above. To left of transept is single-light window at high level. 2.2.1.3.1.1 windows in aisle, 6 single-light windows in clerestorey. South side: similar but with pent roof on right hand side of south gabled transept, and projecting, gabled bellcote on large wooden brackets in apex of transept. Chancel: east end has 2-stage angle buttresses with weathered tops, 3 tall windows, the middle one taller. INTERIOR: patterned brick in red and black, with stone dressings. 3-bay arcades to nave, circular columns with moulded bases and leaf capitals. Barrel-shaped roof with square white panels, framed in oak. Single bay chancel with similar roof running through. C20 double wooden entrance doors in west end within glazed wooden screen with pointed head under brick 4-centred arch. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Berkshire: Harmondsworth: 1966-: 87).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
489271
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1966), 87

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].