CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST BARTHOLOMEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390492
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST BARTHOLOMEW, MANCHESTER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST BARTHOLOMEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390492.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 11:53:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL WITH ST BARTHOLOMEW, MANCHESTER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 73111 07101

Details



1664/0/10022 MANCHESTER ROAD 09-MAY-03 Great Lever Church of St Michael with St Bartholomew

II Church. 1851. By Dickson and Breakspear. Rock-faced ashlar with ashlar dressings and slate roofs in alternating bands of plain and fishscale. Coped gables and finials. Early English style with buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs and corbel table to eaves. Chancel, north vestry, nave and north and south porches. East end has triple lancet window with shafts. 3 lancets to either side of chancel. North vestry has gabled doorway and chimney turret. Nave has small trefoil window high in east gable and paired or single lancets to sides. Similar north and south porches have doorways with shafts with carved capitals. West end has a pair of lancets with shafts and a lower lancet to either side. Small cinquefoil window in gable which is surmounted by an elaborate bellcote with shafting and 2-light window frame displaying the bells. INTERIOR. Chancel fittings include carved reredos and altar front, and communion rails. Structural pulpit in nave/chancel angle reached from stair from chancel. Set of pews in nave including unusual choir stalls in west end. Roofs are of archbraces rising from corbels. Stained glass includes east and west windows. A small elaborately detailed church retaining many fittings including west choir stalls and structural pulpit.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490371
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].