CHURCH OF ST CHAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390493
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, TONGE FOLD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CHAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390493.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 12:50:29.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CHAD, TONGE FOLD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 73125 09293

Details



797-1/0/10010 TONGE FOLD ROAD 09-MAY-03 Tonge Fold Church of St Chad

II Church. 1937. By R. Nickson. Red brick with high blue brick plinth and low pitch copper roofs. Modern style with Scandinavian influences. Tall chancel, east vestries and rooms, nave with aisles, west baptistery and north west campanile. Mainly tall narrow metal-framed windows. The east end is blank with incised cross high in the gable. Tall triple windows to sides of chancel with much lower vestries and rooms surrounding it. The aisles also have tall windows and there is a narrow clerestory above, which has a long row of small windows emphasising the horizontal line. The aisles project beyond the west end where there are four tall windows to the gable wall. The baptistery is below. There is an entrance in the south west corner and in the north west corner is the campanile. This has an entrance on the west side then an arched window above and then tall blank walling up to the bell stage which is stepped-in, white-washed, and has tall bell openings. INTERIOR. The high soaring chancel is lit from either side and has a round arch to the nave. The long nave was partitioned at halfway in 1987 but the square nave piers all survive supporting the clerestory and nave roof. This has massive partly decorated tie beams and the roof is partly shallow canted. Some contemporary fittings survive. This fine and impressive design remains effective although the partition has divided the nave. It was published in 50 Modern Churches. 50 Modern Churches, Incorporated Church Building Society, London, 1945, p.70-3.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490372
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].