HARRIER HOUND MONUMENT TO METHUSALAH YATES IN CHURCHYARD TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST. NICHOLAS WITH ST. JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1390506
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
HARRIER HOUND MONUMENT TO METHUSALAH YATES IN CHURCHYARD TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST. NICHOLAS WITH ST. JOHN, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390506.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2021 at 23:02:45.

Location

Statutory Address:
HARRIER HOUND MONUMENT TO METHUSALAH YATES IN CHURCHYARD TO SOUTH OF CHURCH OF ST. NICHOLAS WITH ST. JOHN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Rossendale (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 83420 22290

Details



255/0/10022 CHURCH STREET 09-MAY-03 Newchurch Harrier Hound Monument to Methusalah Y ates in churchyard to south of Church of St. Nicholas with St. John

GV II* Monument. Dated 1864. Ashlar. Moulded pedestal on base has austere block on top with inscription panels to side and deeply cut relief lunettes on ends carved with trophies of objects of the chase. Lying on top is a particularly well-sculpted harrier hound. The austere base enhances the lifelike quality of the animal. The inscriptions read: 'Sacred to the memory of OLD THU (METHUSALAH YATES) DIED 27TH FEBRUARY 1864. AGED 78 YEARS. He was a Huntsman of Harriers for 50 years, five and twenty of which were by the Rossendale Hunt' and 'Erected by the members of the Rossendale Hunt'. This fine quality and very unusual monument forms a group with the Church of St. Nicholas with St. John (qv).

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490407
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].