This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STOKE NEWINGTON LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STOKE NEWINGTON LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1390563

Location

STOKE NEWINGTON LIBRARY, 186, STOKE NEWINGTON CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Hackney

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 15-Aug-2003

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 490511

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



735/0/10133 STOKE NEWINGTON CHURCH STREET 15-AUG-03 186 Stoke Newington Library

GV II Public Library. 1892 by Bridgman and Goss, extended 1904 by Goss with funding from Andrew Carnegie, and in 1922-3 by A.G. Porri. Red brick with stone dressings, tiled roof. 2 storeys. EXTERIOR: Central 5-window range, inscribed 'PUBLIC LIBRARY' in first-floor band, flanked by 3-storey gabled wings, the ground floor with opening top-lights and blind boxes, the first floor with casements. Double panelled door to left with heavy stone porch and balustrade set on console brackets. 1922-3 extension to right houses the War Memorial Hall and present entrance. Double doors set within a rectangular surround below the borough arms and a shallow niche inscribed 'PRO PATRIA'; this set between pilasters carrying an open segmental pediment. This frontispiece terminates in a plinth with bronze wreaths flanking the dates 1914-18; similar composition on return elevation, beyond which flat pilasters and square metal ground-floor casements denote the 1904 work. INTERIOR: The Memorial Hall has a marble floor and stone-faced walls with pilasters and entablature, alabaster panels inscribed with the borough's war dead, and a vaulted roof supporting an oval glazed dome with original hanging light. Entablature over doorway leading to library interior is inscribed 'ALL YE WHO PASS IN QUEST OF HAPPY HOURS, BEHOLD THE PRICE AT WHICH THESE HOURS WERE BOUGHT'. HISTORY: 1904 extension including lecture hall and children's room were funded by Andrew Carnegie. Extension was opened October 1925 by Councillor C. Maude Eve. J.P.

Included as an early and good example of a borough library, which contains an exceptional war memorial hall.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 32995 86484

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390563 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2017 at 10:53:10.

End of official listing