THE OLD SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390624
Date first listed:
27-Nov-2002
Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, SLEAFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390624 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-May-2019 at 18:43:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD SCHOOL AND SCHOOL HOUSE, SLEAFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Tattershall
National Grid Reference:
TF 21186 57798

Details

TATTERSHALL

1503/0/10002 SLEAFORD ROAD 16-OCT-03 (Northeast side) The Old School and School House

II Former school and schoolmaster's house. 1860-62, with minor C20 alterations. Designed by William Butterfield. Orange brick with blue brick and ashlar dressings, plain tile roofs with decorative ridge tiles. 3 ridge chimney stacks with chamfered steps. Schoolmaster's house single storey with attic. Projecting porch has C20 door with overlight and above a C20 casement in an original opening with blue brick pointed arched surround topped with a half-hipped roof. Either side similar C20 2-light casements. Single storey later addition to left. Former schoolroom has added red brick gabled porch, with various plank doors, attached to the east gable. Above a circular ashlar window with cusped tracery and iron glazing bars. South side wall has single 3-light pointed arched window. North side wall has blue brick plinth band and 4 pairs small lancet windows linked by a continuous ashlar cill band, two blue brick bands and a deep ashlar impost band. Rear west gable has two tall 2-light pointed arched windows with cusped tracery and ashlar transoms and mullions. Linked low single storey block attached to south-west. Beyond to south at right angles a slightly taller single bay block with on west side a chamfered brick projection containing a triple lancet window with cusped tracery and original casements. INTERIOR still retains original timber roof structure with trusses supported on corbels with unusual bracing above the collar beams decorated with trefoils.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490839
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].