MILL AT TEMPLE MILL FARM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390652
Date first listed:
03-Nov-2003
Statutory Address:
MILL AT TEMPLE MILL FARM

Map

Ordnance survey map of MILL AT TEMPLE MILL FARM
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390652.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:05:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
MILL AT TEMPLE MILL FARM

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Cherwell (District Authority)
Parish:
Sibford Ferris
National Grid Reference:
SP 34570 36308

Details

SIBFORD FERRIS

1719/0/10003 Mill at Temple Mill Farm 03-NOV-03

GV II Water Mill. 1830. Limestone rubble, with stone and red brick dressings; left hand bay in red brick; slate roofs. Exterior: three storeys, with left-hand enclosed overshot water wheel occupying two storeys. Flush stone storey bands above windows at first and second floor levels with incised keystones. Ground floor opening has a replaced vertically boarded door, with three light timber casement to left. Pair of first floor fixed-light four-pane windows, with external fly wheel above that to left. Left hand bay in red brick, formerly housing a wheel (now gone); C20 sliding door; first floor fixed-light four-pane casement. Single window at upper level within the brick gable end, comprising a two-light, small-paned, metal-framed casement. Rear elevation has an arched window opening of stone with brick reveals; to its right is the fly wheel. To the left, high in the eaves, is a narrow light. Interior: floors with trap doors, and ladder stairs at ground and first floors. Hoist mechanism survives at upper levels. Grain bins and chutes. Detached paddles and other timber and iron machinery stored in roof space. History: The date is derived from a date stone on the front of the building, which reads DS 1830. The brick extension to the left, probably of the mid C19, would have housed an enclosed wheel, thereby replacing an external one. A steam engine was subsequently installed to power the mill when water levels were low. Mill Farm was owned by the Sabin family since c1800, and was run as a mill until c1960, when it entered a period of disuse on the farm's conversion to livestock. This is one of the principal structures at this farm complex.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490694
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].