SHILDON SIGNAL BOX

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390827
Date first listed:
12-Oct-2004
Statutory Address:
SHILDON SIGNAL BOX, SPOUT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHILDON SIGNAL BOX
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 04:38:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
SHILDON SIGNAL BOX, SPOUT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shildon
National Grid Reference:
NZ 23668 25688

Details

SHILDON

1029/0/10002 SPOUT LANE 12-OCT-04 SHILDON SIGNAL BOX (Formerly listed as: SPOUT LANE SHILDON SIGNAL BOX AND ASSOCIATED BUIL DINGS)

GV II Signal box. 1887, altered 1928 and 1984. Built for the Central Division of the North-Eastern Railway Co. Ltd., possibly designed by the Thomas Prosser, architect to the NER. This box is a variant of the Central Division's Type C2 signal box. Red brick and timber with a slate roof. 2 storey. North, track front, has two glazing bar windows, 3 x 3 panes, each set into a large blank panel. Above a projecting balcony with iron railings, and six windows in a row with timber boarded panels above. The outer two windows on either side are two light sliding sashes and the central two windows have fixed lights, both 3 x 3 panes. East front has blank ground floor and two windows above, both 4 x 4 panes, with balcony. South front to street has blank wall central projecting brick stack, the upper section rebuilt C20. West front has external staircase leading to half-glazed door and two windows to left. INTERIOR retains McKenzie & Holland pattern 16 frame lever system installed in 1928, and reduced from 55 levers to 42 levers in 1984. This is a well designed signal box with group value and a well preserved, if reduced, lever frame for controlling and changing the points.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491354
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].