This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VICTORIA TUNNEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VICTORIA TUNNEL

List entry Number: 1390828

Location

VICTORIA TUNNEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Newcastle upon Tyne

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-May-2004

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 492234

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1833/0/10227 Victoria Tunnel 11-MAY-04

GV II Underground tramway tunnel, later used as air-raid shelter. Constructed for the Leazes Main Colliery 1839-42, converted 1939. Brick and rubble stone. This tunnel is two miles long, dropping a total of 222feet from the Colliery to the coal staithes on the River Tyne. The original round arched tunnel is approxiamately two meters high with the lower walls mainly constructed of rubble stone, the upper sections of the walling and the barrel vault are brick. Sections of the tunnel have been adapted as airraid shelters. This has meant the opening of various new entrances, the widening of some small sections and the insertion of blast walls at various intervals. Toilets, washrooms, bunk beds and electricity were introduced into the tunnel at this time but most evidence of these features has now been lost. The engineer was Mr Gilleslpie, the leading miner John Cherry and the builder David Nixon. The colliery closed in 1860. Certain sections of the tunnel were coverted for use as air-raid shelters from 1939. This is a very rare and unusual tramway tunnel built to provide a direct route for the coal from the colliery to its shipping point on the banks of the Tyne.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 25028 64901

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390828 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 07:38:13.

End of official listing