GARGRAVE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390864
Date first listed:
24-Jun-2004
Statutory Address:
GARGRAVE HOUSE, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARGRAVE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390864 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 21:46:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
GARGRAVE HOUSE, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Gargrave
National Grid Reference:
SD 92822 54533

Details

GARGRAVE

1683/0/10002 WEST STREET 24-JUN-04 Gargrave Gargrave House

II House, now nursing home, completed 1917 by architect James B Dunn for J W Coulthurst. Yorkshire ragstone facing in snecked rubble, under whitemoss slates from Caithness. Main block facing south-west over formal gardens, irregular window pattern. Garden front: main entrance door with pilasters and open pediment flanked by windows, three windows above, double height bow to either side, right hand with first floor balcony, both with gabled pediments. To left, two French windows between smaller ground floor windows, three first floor windows and three dormers. South-east front with projecting double arched portico, tall windows to ground and first floor, roof dormers with round arched tops. Single storey extension to north-west. INTERIOR: drawing room and dining room to right and left of entrance hall with second hall to porticoed entrance. Library and business room behind, kitchen to front beyond dining room and service rooms behind, two staircases, main one with domed skylight. All these rooms virtually intact with a wealth of Baroque detail in fireplaces, cornices, ceiling decoration, fitted cupboards, doorways and other decorative details, including fully panelled library. Main open well staircase has fine barleysugar balusters and a wooden handrail, with pillars supporting the open landing at first floor.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
492216
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].