UNITARIAN CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1390934
Date first listed:
23-Jul-2004
Statutory Address:
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, 31 1/2, HOOP LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of UNITARIAN CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1390934.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 03:06:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
UNITARIAN CHAPEL, 31 1/2, HOOP LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Barnet (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24977 87809

Details



31/0/10456 HOOP LANE 23-JUL-04 Golders Green 31 1/2 Unitarian Chapel

II Unitarian church. Opened 1925. Reginal Farrow FRIBA, architect. Red brick with Portland stone dressings. Exterior in the Byzantine revival style, with a pedimented entrance bay with inscribed frieze which reads RELIGION : TRUTH : LIBERTY; arched doorway flanked by inset columns with cushion capitals; thermal window above. INTERIOR: plaster groin-vaulted ceiling, large arched windows to either side; wooden lobby screen incorporating a carved oak memorial to Rev. Joyce Daplyn (d.1931), first Unitarian woman minister in London. Over the door is an Art Deco stained glass window showing the celestial city above a forest setting, by Joan Fullerlove: it is surrounded by a tempera mural by Margaret Warren in a Florentine Revival style, with full-length figures flanking the entrance, with an angel hovering over a golden chalice above. The semi-circular apse with half-dome above sports a notable temera mural by Ivon Hitchens RA (1892-1979), executed in 1920-21, depicting the River of the Waters of Life: the inscriptions (in Gothic letters) read 'The fruit of righteousness is sown in peace' and 'the leaves of the tree were for the healling of the nations'. Fittings include a pulpit made by Belgian refugees during the First World War. HISTORY: the Golders Green Unitarian congregation seceded from the Rosslyn Hill Chapel, Hampstead in 1903. This building, erected at a cost of £7,500, was designed by a member of the congregation. Architecturally somewhat old-fashioned for its day, this is nonetheless a notable interwar place of worship which possesses some remarkable decoration. Hitchens, best known as an abstract painter, here executed a fine mural in tempera which drew on Florentine Renaissance sources as well as tapestry designs by Morris & Co. for inspiration. This is a larger version of his 'Forest Scene with Animals', a work executed in 1919-20 for St Luke's Church, Maidstone.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
490909
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].