CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391096
Date first listed:
09-May-2003
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391096 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:30:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Bolton (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 75362 07403

Details



1664/0/10023 CHURCH STREET 09-MAY-03 Church of St Matthew

II

Also Known As: Church of St Matthew, MARKET STREET Church. 1865. By EG Paley. Coursed rubblestone with ashlar dressings and slate roofs with stone-coped gables with finials. Early Decorated style with buttresses and angle buttresses with set-offs. Chancel, north vestry, south east tower, nave and transepts, west porch. East end has 3-light window with plate tracery. Chancel has small 3-light window to south and 2 lancets to north over vestry. South-east tower of 4 stages with parapet and pinnacles. Stair turret in south-east corner and small lancets. 2-light louvred bell-openings with shafts. Transept ends have paired lancets with cinquefoils over and single-light round-arched windows to sides. Nave has 2-light windows with plate tracery. West end has massive buttresses, gabled west porch and rose window over formed of sexfoil with circle of trefoils around. INTERIOR. Fittings include in chancel a stone reredos with stone creed and commandment panels to the side, double sedilia, scissor brace roof. Elaborately carved choir stalls, organ front and screen. Minton tile floor. Wide nave and transepts have carved stone pulpit, openwork pews, and west gallery with arcaded front and original pews. Carved stone font on colonnettes. West end is now screened off under gallery with glazed screen but stairs to gallery survive. Nave and transept roofs of arched braces to collars rising from stone corbels. Richly coloured and finely detailed stained glass to east end, transept ends and nave rose window. A well-designed church with fine quality fittings and glass.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
492870
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].