Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391161.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-May-2021 at 18:18:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Winchester (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 48218 29385


869/0/10083 MARKET LANE 17-DEC-04 (South side) Nos 1-8, Morley College

GV II Almshouses. Founded 1672 by Bishop Morley and reconstructed in 1880 to the designs of John Colson and his son John B. Colson. Flemish bond red brick. Clay plain tile hipped roof with heavy modillion eaves cornice. Tall brick axial stacks with moulded stone cornices. Domestic Revival late C17 style. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. Symmetrical 2:2:2:2:2:2:2:2 bay south front, the end bays projecting cross-wings; moulded brick platband at first floor level; cross-mullion-transom windows with glazing bars in the top lights only and flat rubbed brick arches; doorways with moulded brick arises and segmental arches with segmental arch Portland stone cornices; centre two doorways paired; original 1672 carved stone plaque with cartouche, bishops mitre above and tablet below inscribed:- Now shee that is a Widow indeede, and desolate trusteth in God and continueth in Supplications and Prayers night and day. GEO:MORLEY EPVS 1672; hipped dormers with 2-light casements. On west side a Portland stone tablet inscribed:- This College for the Widows of Clergymen who have ministered in the Dioceses of Winchester and Worcester, Founded by Bishop Morley AD 1672 was rebuilt AD 1880, names of trustees, John Colson, John B. Colson, architects. Rear north, projecting end cross-wings, small sashes with glazing bars on first floor and small single-storey hipped roof outhouses. INTERIOR not inspected. NOTE: Morley College is a range of almshouses endowed to accommodate widows of the clergy of the dioceses of Winchester and Worcester. It was founded in 1672 by George Morley, Bishop of Winchester and was rebuilt in 1880 in a similar style to the original almshouses.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].