STEPHENSON'S WORKS - ERECTING SHOPS ETC. J T DOVE, SHOWROOM, NOS 2-14

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391237
Date first listed:
08-Feb-2005
Statutory Address:
STEPHENSON'S WORKS - ERECTING SHOPS ETC. J T DOVE, SHOWROOM, NOS 2-14, SOUTH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of STEPHENSON'S WORKS - ERECTING SHOPS ETC. J T DOVE, SHOWROOM, NOS 2-14
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391237 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 05:39:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
STEPHENSON'S WORKS - ERECTING SHOPS ETC. J T DOVE, SHOWROOM, NOS 2-14, SOUTH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 24786 63638

Details



1833/0/10238 SOUTH STREET 08-FEB-05 Newcastle (East side) Stephenson's Works - Erecting shops et c. J T DOVE, Showroom, Nos 2-14

GV II Railway works, now building trade warehouse and showroom. 1823, 1827 with later C19 and C20 alterations, burnt 1934. EXTERIOR: Brick, rendered and painted brick, partly steel clad, with slate and steel sheet roofs. Single storey and two storey. Main entrance on Orchard Street has late C20 double-gabled facade with modern windows. To left, a single storey brick range with a slate roof and 9 large windows with concrete lintels. Further blind brick ranges beyond with some blocked openings and a partly glazed roof. Blind north facade rendered and painted. South Street facade now rendered an painted, has large C20 access doorway to left with steel girder lintel and earlier cast iron lintel, now redundant above. Beyond to right, two small entrance doorways reached up two steps, with canopy. Beyond again to right, a two storey gabled section with various blocked doorways and an upper loft doorway flanked by two small windows. Beyond again, a blank wall topped by a continuous section of upper windows, then another large C20 access with steel lintel. Beyond a C20 casement with above round headed window retaining a fanlight, which may date from Stephenson's Works. Then a single, C20 casement on the ground floor and two similar windows above, a small timber-framed section with double doors below and a loft door above. Finally, the former office section, where Robert Stephenson had his office on the first floor (this has a C20 window, with a single door), and a further ground floor window beyond. INTERIOR. The interior retains some sections of plain C19 timber roof structure, and the upper room used by Stephenson as an office is still identifiable, though none of its original features survive. Many of the surviving walls correspond with the walls visible on the surviving maps, but since so many are covered over it is very difficult to assess how many of the walls are likely to be original. HISTORY: This building was used by George and Robert Stephenson as part of their original Railway Works, and thus possesses great historical significance as what is probably the world's first purpose-built locomotive factory. The 'Rocket' was built here is 1828-29. It has undergone considerable alteration, but originally it was in multiple use as a mill, fitting shops, furnaces, smithies, pattern shops etc. The earliest part of the building dates from c 1823, extended soon after in 1827: these are probably the earliest surviving parts of Stephenson's works. A severe fire in 1934 destroyed much of the upper structure. SOURCES: The Stephenson Quarter, Newcastle upon Tyne, Conservation Plan and Archaeological Assessment, Oct, 2001; RCHME report, Robert Stephenson & Co Manufactory, 20, South Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, March 1996; Ken Smith, 'Stephenson Power. The Story of George and Robert Stephenson' 2003; information from the Robert Stephenson Trust. NZ2478763640

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
492014
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robert Stephenson and Co Manufactory, 20 South Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, (1996)
Smith, K, Stephenson Power: The story of George and Robert Stephenson, (2003)
Other
The Stephenson Quarter, Newcastle upon Tyne, Conservation Plan and Archaeological Assessment, (2001)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].