52, ALBION STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391250
Date first listed:
29-Apr-2004
Statutory Address:
52, ALBION STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391250.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Feb-2021 at 11:10:49.

Location

Statutory Address:
52, ALBION STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Birmingham (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 06043 87471

Details

BIRMINGHAM

997/0/10434 ALBION STREET 29-APR-04 52

II

Manufactory. c.1865, with late C20 alterations. Red brick with blue brick and painted dressings, brick gable chimney stacks to both roof slopes, and a Welsh slate roof covering. PLAN: Rectangular plan, with narrow rear yard, and now functionally linked to the range of workshops and offices to the right. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, 4 bay asymmetrical street elevation with main entrance in bay 2 set between flanking windows and with vehicle entrance to bay 4 at right- hand end. Doorway set beneath shallow segmental arch, with blue brick hood mould and painted springers and keyblock. Recessed doorway with 4-panel door below 4-pane overlight. Ground and first floor windows with C20 undivided sash frames set within segmental arch-headed openings detailed to match that of the doorway. Continuous painted cill bands to ground and first floors, and smaller upper floor openings with asymmetrically sub-divided frames. These and the other frontage windows replaced earlier sash frames with margin glazing. Stepped and dentilled blue brick eaves band. Wide vehicular entrance to right side with shallow segmental arched head and C20 roller shutter. HISTORY: No. 52 is a purpose -built manufactory, which included office, showroom and workshop provision, and its first occupant was a jewellery manufacturer. In 1954, the site was purchased by the present owners,and linked to the adjacent workshops in 1979. The manufactory is a prominent component of a extensive street frontage range of C19 industrial premises , and forms a group with Nos. 54-57 Albion Street ( q.v.) A purpose -built manufactory of c. 1865 comprised of offices, workshops and showroom, forming part of a prominent street frontage range of industrial premises and displaying the distinctive characteristics of late C19 industrial architecture buildings in this manufacturing district of Birmingham, now recognised as being of international significance.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
494048
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].