TEDDINGTON FOOTBRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1391392

Date first listed: 03-Oct-2005

Statutory Address: TEDDINGTON FOOTBRIDGE, FERRY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of TEDDINGTON FOOTBRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391392 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 20:05:44.

Location

Statutory Address: TEDDINGTON FOOTBRIDGE, FERRY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 16750 71461, TQ 16773 71530

Details



22/0/10191 FERRY ROAD 04-OCT-05 Teddington Lock Teddington Footbridge

II Teddington Footbridge; suspension and girder footbridge across the River Thames and Lock Cut. Circa 1888. Steel, concrete. Suspension bridge by George Pooley, engineer, Messrs Goddard and Massey of Nottingham (contractors). Designer of girder bridge unknown but it is assumed that it and the suspension bridge were built together.

Single span suspension bridge with two pairs of steel towers surmounted by delicate finials. The towers are now encased in polygonal concrete piers. Steel suspension cables. Sectional riveted girder construction with cross ties. Timber boarded walkway approach to south on concrete and timber stilts with iron railings. Modern timber walkway to north is not of special interest. Asphalt surface to bridge and southern approach ramp.

Single span footbridge of riveted sectional girder construction with cross ties. Partly rendered concrete piers; that on the south of the bridge incorporates a brick arch to allow pedestrian access beneath. Moulded stone coping stones to south pier. Asphalt surface to bridge. Steps down to tow path to north-west with iron hand rails. Wooden bridge to north is not of special interest.

HISTORY: The bridge was built in the late C19 to replace the former ferry crossing operating between Teddington on the south bank and Ham on the north bank of the River Thames. The suspension bridge is of 1888 linking Teddington to Creweyte or Swan Ait island, located between the River Thames proper and the Lock Cut; a navigational improvement constructed in 1811-12. The girder bridge is assumed to be of the same date as the suspension bridge linking the island to the north bank.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: Teddington Footbridge is significant as a functional yet attractive and relatively intact transport structure in two parts, of circa 1888 date.

SOURCES: Cherry, B & Pevsner, N, 1994, The Buildings of England. London 2: South. Page 716

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 494003

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 716

End of official listing