CRUMPWOOD WEIR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391416
Date first listed:
27-Oct-2005
Statutory Address:
CRUMPWOOD WEIR

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391416.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Mar-2021 at 15:36:39.

Location

Statutory Address:
CRUMPWOOD WEIR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Staffordshire Moorlands (District Authority)
Parish:
Alton
National Grid Reference:
SK0933042487

Reasons for Designation

Details

ALTON

1757/0/10007 27-OCT-05

CHURNET VALLEY Crumpwood Weir

II

River weir. 1807-1811. Rubble stone brought to course and ashlar. The weir is c. 30 metres in length and has abutments at either end. The weir consists of a vertical drop of c. 1.5 metres and an inclined plane. The abutments are rectangular in shape and battered with a large-scale cyma and roll moulding to the top. The weir was built as part of the Froghall to Uttoxeter Canal which was dug to carry copper and brass from Oakmoor and Alton and coal from Cheadle and Kingsley Moor and also lime stone and flint to the complex of lime kilns at Froghall Wharf. The function of the weir was to allow the canal to cross the Churnet river without needing to build a viaduct. This canal structure is largely intact. It marks the course of the disused canal and has a distinct architectural presence. The footbridge which springs from the northern abutment and crosses the river is of C20 date and is not included in this item.

Source: Estate Maps of the Trent and Mersey Canal Company, 1816

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
491903
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].