CAST IRON ELECTRICITY SUB STATION

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1391489

Date first listed: 14-Feb-2006

Statutory Address: CAST IRON ELECTRICITY SUB STATION, DORKING ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAST IRON ELECTRICITY SUB STATION
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391489 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 21:48:41.

Location

Statutory Address: CAST IRON ELECTRICITY SUB STATION, DORKING ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Reigate and Banstead (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 23228 55061

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



902/0/10018 DORKING ROAD 14-FEB-06 (Off) Cast Iron Electricity Sub-station

II Electricity sub-station, early C20 believed to date from 1909. The sub-station stands in the grounds of Castle House, to the north of a building called Castle Lodge.

DESCRIPTION The sub-station is a small circular partially-decorated cast iron structure with three rows of panels. As the panels decrease in height from base to top, they become increasingly ornate. The top panel is decorated, and the middle panel has moulded bands at top and bottom. It is finished with a slightly sloping roof with a projecting cornice decorated with egg and dart ornament, and is surmounted by a foliated finial. The lower and middle panels contain two pairs of double doors on opposite sides with decorative hinges, which gives access to the internal workings. The sub-station is painted green.

This is a standard design of the early C20, made by the British Electric Transformer Company, based in Hayes in Middlesex. Five others are known to survive in situ and these are all listed.

This is a well-preserved example of this class of structure, and has merit as an illustration of industrial design for the early electricity industry.

HISTORY The owners of Castle House in the early-C19, the Allom family, were proprietors of an electrical components business and installed the sub-station in order to bring electricity to their house and to those of their neighbours. It is likely to have been erected in 1909, but certainly before 1938 when it was adopted by the local electricity supply company.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE This electricity substation was installed in c1909 by the owners of Castle House, proprietors of an electrical components business. This is a good in situ example of early electricity distribution equipment of a widely used and elegant design, illustrative of the quality of industrial design for the early electricity industry.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 494851

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing