WAR MEMORIAL OPPOSITE THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391490
Date first listed:
08-Feb-2006
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL OPPOSITE THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of WAR MEMORIAL OPPOSITE THE CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Oct-2019 at 04:19:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL OPPOSITE THE CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Chollerton
National Grid Reference:
NY 93102 71869

Details

CHOLLERTON

460/0/10001 War Memorial opposite the Church of St 08-FEB-06 Giles

II War Memorial, 1921. Sandstone. Cross with ornamental head and tapering shaft. Rectangular plinth with carved stone panels on front and sides standing proud. ON FRONT reads CHOLLERTON PARISH/IN REVERENT AND GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF OUR MEN/WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/1914-19/YE THAT LIVE ON MID ENGLANDS PASTURES GREEN/REMEMBER US AND THINK WHAT MIGHT HAVE BEEN AND 1939-1945 (NAMES) INSCRIPTIONS ON SIDES contain the names of the fallen of the First World War. Square 3-stepped stone base. Inscription ON FRONT reads TO THE/GLORY OF GOD/AND IN MEMORY OF/THOSE WHO FELL/IN THE GREAT WAR/1914-1918/GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS Sources: North East war memorials Project ref 33829

This simple First World War memorial in the form of a cross is an attractive memorial to the fallen of two World Wars. It was unveiled in 1921.



This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 9 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
494700
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 9 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/90548
War Memorials Register, accessed 9 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/33829

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].