BULL AND GATE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391501
Date first listed:
23-Aug-2005
Statutory Address:
BULL AND GATE PUBLIC HOUSE, 389, KENTISH TOWN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BULL AND GATE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391501.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jun-2020 at 23:55:46.

Location

Statutory Address:
BULL AND GATE PUBLIC HOUSE, 389, KENTISH TOWN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Camden (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28945 85288

Details

798-1/0/10325 KENTISH TOWN ROAD 23-AUG-05 Kentish Town 389 Bull and Gate Public House

II

Pub. Dated 1871 with minor later alterations. Architect unknown. Red brick with rendered dressings. EXTERIOR: Advanced ground floor houses the public rooms and main entrances with a curved return to the north where second door, large windows with decorative transoms have been replaced, and a pair of wide arches over the 2 main openings, that to the left with some later infill (formerly a shop here). All of this is richly detailed, including heads and leaves in the ionic capitals over the marble pilasters, the name of the pub spelled out prominently in the frieze and an eponymous bull and gate relief above the main entrance. Behind this are 2 further storeys of the building, of red brick with rendered detailing to rusticated pilasters and frieze, of 5 window bays with a central elongated Palladian style window under a half-moon shape plaque announcing 'Bull & Gate 1871'. The first floor windows have semi-circular shells over each one, and the brick is curved at both corners. Plaque to north side with date,architect and builder names is heavily painted. Side and rear elevations much plainer and more altered, including inserted C20 windows to rear. INTERIOR: Much of the original pub interior survives, such as the bar counter with pilasters and cornelled brackets, and the back bar with decorative glass, and cast-iron fluted columns with ornate composite capitals. The original plan form is also mainly readable, with the front public rooms divided by partition with Neo-Classical dressed arch, and a former billiard room to the rear. Also of interest is a strapwork embossed paper ceiling, wide arches with fluted pilasters, and Neo-Classical detailing around the arch (that to the rear alternating small medallions of bulls' heads with the vases), pedimented doorcases and hardwood vestibule, fruity grape detailing throughout, large skylight to rear and fireplace in front bar. To rear wall of main bar, a pair of wide arches, that to north with later bar extension now projecting from it, that to south with further pedimented double door into rear now used as a music venue, which has fewer features of interest. HISTORY: The Bull and Gate was rebuilt in 1871 on the site of an C18 pub, when it was apparently known as the 'Boulogne Gate' at this important 'pick-up-and-set-down' point for travellers in and out of London via the north. A 1904 photograph shows a show in the end bay, and a slightly different window and door arrangement, as well as a openwork parapet along the front range. SOURCES: The Fields Beneath, Gillian Tindall; Kentish Town Past, John Richardson; Buildings of England London 4: North.

A fine Victorian pub in the Gin Palace tradition with exuberant internal and external detailing (including a bull and gate illustrating the historic name) and a well surviving quality pub interior, that furthermore has group value, particularly with the Assembly Rooms pub (q.v.) at the same historic junction.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
493632
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cherry, B, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 4, North, (1998 revised 2001)
Richardson, J, Kentish Town Past
Tindall, G, The Fields Beneath

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top