HUDDERSFIELD LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1391504

Date first listed: 04-Aug-2005

Statutory Address: HUDDERSFIELD LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY, PRINCESS ALEXANDRA WALK

Map

Ordnance survey map of HUDDERSFIELD LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391504 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 14:12:56.

Location

Statutory Address: HUDDERSFIELD LIBRARY AND ART GALLERY, PRINCESS ALEXANDRA WALK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

National Grid Reference: SE 14537 16465

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

919/0/10056 PRINCESS ALEXANDRA WALK 04-AUG-05 Huddersfield Library and Art Gallery

II Library and Art Gallery built in 1937, designed by E H Ashburner, steel framed and faced with local pink stone. The plan form is square with a central atrium containing the main staircase through three storeys plus basement. Main entrance facade has protruding central section with central entrance doorway with ogee-curved consoles supporting a cornice, flanked by two tall metal-framed rectangular windows with slightly recessed architraves, plus five at first floor level with cornice above. Decorative panel above cornice. Three windows on each side on ground and first floors. Second floor has no external windows. Bas-relief frieze in classical style between ground and first floor windows on either side. Windows continue in same style throughout, including basement windows to sides. Two free-standing statues in classical style with modernist influence flanking entrance steps, representing Spirits of Literature and Art, by James Woodford. Right return has similar facade with a projecting centre of 8 windows, those on the ground floor have moulded stone surrounds and hood moulds, the 8 windows above have flush surrounds. INTERIOR: Entrance hall with original coffered ceiling and lights, marble lined. Fine Imperial staircase to all floors with brass handrail. Floor paved with chequer design (hidden by carpet). Landing walls panelled in wood veneer, landing floor with original cork tiles. Meeting room also fully panelled in wood veneer with original doors and fittings. Some original bookcases in library and original doors throughout. Built 1937, opened as a library and art gallery in 1940, still in original use. Sources: Twentieth Century Society.





Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 490656

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing