WAR MEMORIAL, VILLAGE GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391516
Date first listed:
14-Feb-2006
Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, VILLAGE GREEN, GREGSON TERRACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391516.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 05:14:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
WAR MEMORIAL, VILLAGE GREEN, GREGSON TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Murton
National Grid Reference:
NZ 38800 47083

Details

MURTON

488/0/10011 GREGSON TERRACE 14-FEB-06 (South side) War Memorial, Village Green

II First World War Memorial, Granite and bronze. Cenotaph of granite blocks on square plinth upon a rectangular stepped base. Head of cenotaph has carvings of laurel wreaths and shields bearing crosses in relief. Main inscription ON FRONT reads TO THE MEMORY OF/THE MEN OF/ MURTON/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ WHILST SERVING THEIR COUNTRY 1914-1918/THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE/ ERECTED BY THE WORKMEN AND OFFICIALS/OF MURTON COLLIERY. Inscription BELOW on plinth reads ALSO/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND/IN MEMORY OF THOSE OF/ MURTON AND DISTRICT WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945/ The 536 names of the fallen of the First World War are recorded in two columns on each of the two sides and in four columns on the rear, ordered alphabetically by surname. The names of the fallen of the Second World War are recorded in four columns on the sides and rear of the plinth. HISTORY: Commissioned and erected by Murton Colliery SOURCES: UKNIWM ref 19002 This imposing First World War memorial in the form of a cenotaph is an attractive and well executed memorial to the fallen of two World Wars. It evinces strong local ties with the inhabitants of Murton, many of whom were former miners. Recommended for listing in Grade II.



This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 7 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
495157
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 7 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/105015
War Memorials Register, accessed 7 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/19002

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].