BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS AT LANCASTER MOOR HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1391761
Date first listed:
13-Sep-2006
Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS AT LANCASTER MOOR HOSPITAL, QUERNMORE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS AT LANCASTER MOOR HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1391761.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 18:43:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOUNDARY WALLS, RAILINGS, GATES AND GATE PIERS AT LANCASTER MOOR HOSPITAL, QUERNMORE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 49443 61633, SD 49452 61607

Details



1685-1/0/10017 QUERNMORE ROAD 13-SEP-06 Boundary walls, railings, gates and ga te piers at Lancaster Moor Hospital

II A boundary wall, railings, gates, gateposts and steps forming the boundary to Lancaster Moor Hospital on the north side of Quernmore Road.

DESCRIPTION: The boundary wall and original entrance was designed in 1883 by the architect Arnold Kershaw who designed the Annexe building of the hospital at the same time. The boundary wall is constructed of gritstone blocks topped by gritstone coping and descends down in steps from west to east to reflect the gradual descent of the adjacent road. The original entrance consists of two ornate iron gates of sufficient width to allow vehicular access which are flanked by ornate gritstone gateposts square in plan with chamfered corners. On either side of the gateposts are two narrower ornate pedestrian iron gates manufactured in a design which matches the larger gates. These are flanked by gateposts which match the design of those flanking the larger gates. Once through the entrance gates and across an avenue access towards the Annexe building continues up a flight of stone steps consisting of two ramps of eight steps with a central double metal handrail. Flanking the steps are gritstone walls with a coping of the same material. At the top and bottom of these flanking walls are ornate stone posts, square in plan, some of which retain the original iron lamp holders for illuminating the steps. At the west end of the boundary wall there is a C20 entrance consisting of two large ornate iron gates which allowed vehicular access into the hospital. These gates are flanked by matching iron gateposts, square in plan. From these gateposts matching iron railings set in a low wall sweep around in convex fashion to meet gritstone posts of a similar design to those flanking the original gates. The post to the east forms the west end of the boundary wall.

HISTORY: The County Lunatic Asylum on Lancaster Moor, located to the south of Quernmore Road, was opened in 1816 and was extended in stages throughout the C19th and C20th. In 1878 the asylum acquired land on the north side of Quernmore Road and a large building known as the Annexe was designed by the architect Arnold Kershaw and opened in 1883 for the accommodation of 828 patients. At the same time a southern boundary wall and railings together with an entrance from Quernmore Road was built. This entrance is located in line with an entrance and the central spine of the Annexe building. A later entrance in the boundary wall was then constructed leading off Quernmore Road at an unspecified date between 1919-1939 at the south corner of the Annexe complex. The asylum was renamed Lancaster Moor Hospital under the National Health Service. The annexe and all associated buildings north of Quernmore Road had closed by 2000.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A boundary wall, railings, gates, gateposts and steps forming the original and C20th entrances to Lancaster Moor Hospital on the north side of Quernmore Road. The original entrance was designed by Arnold Kershaw and opened in 1883 and its location complements the Annexe, itself a listed building Grade II, to which it was originally constructed to provide access. The C20 entrance together with the boundary wall complements the original entrance and the whole gives a pleasing aspect to the hospital boundary on the north side of Quernmore Road.

SOURCES: Silverston,J.D., Mason,J.J., & Lewty,W.M. An Introduction To The History, Description And Problems Of The Lancaster Moor Hospital Situated On Lancaster Moor, Lancaster. 5th July 1948.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
496262
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Silverston, J D, Mason, J J, Lewty, W M, An Introduction to the History, Description and Problems of The Lancaster Moor Hospital situated on Lancaster Moor, (1948)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].