LIMEBURNER MONUMENT, LEE OLD CHURCHYARD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1392002
Date first listed:
01-Jun-2007
Statutory Address:
LIMEBURNER MONUMENT, LEE OLD CHURCHYARD, LEE TERRACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of LIMEBURNER MONUMENT, LEE OLD CHURCHYARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392002 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 06:25:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
LIMEBURNER MONUMENT, LEE OLD CHURCHYARD, LEE TERRACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Lewisham (London Borough)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ3903875711

Details



779/15/10036 LEE TERRACE 01-JUN-07 LEE Limeburner Monument, Lee Old Churchyard

GV II Chest tomb, erected mid to late C18 to Captain Thomas Limeburner of the Royal Navy (1696-1750), and his wife Elizabeth Limeburner (d.1769). A stone chest tomb with angle balusters and fielded panels, surmounted by a ledger slab with a visible inscription.

HISTORY: Lee old churchyard contains many notable monuments which reflect the area's Georgian past as a place of retirement for City merchants and those involved with Greenwich and the Deptford shipyards. In the centre of the churchyard stand the remains of the tower belonging to the former medieval Church of St Margaret (listed Grade II). The current Church of St Margaret stands to the south side of Lee Terrace (1839-41, listed Grade II*). The churchyard of the current church contains later tombs, being used principally between the 1840s and 1870s. A decline in usage came with the opening of Hither Green Cemetery, Lee in 1873.

SOURCES E and J Birchenough, Monumental Inscriptions in the Old Churchyard, St Margaret's, Lee (1967 typescript in Manor House Library) C P Gwilt (1830), F Bamping (2001) et al, Lee - Kent Archaeological Society website.

SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: The tomb of Captain Thomas Limeburner of the Royal Navy (1696-1750), and his wife Elizabeth Limeburner (d.1769), Lee old churchyard, Lewisham, is a handsome stone chest tomb with angle balusters and fielded panels, surmounted by a ledger slab. It meets the criteria for listing of commemorative monuments as a mid-C18 tomb of good architectural quality with a legible inscription. The naval connection is also of interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
503661
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].