War Memorial

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1392314
Date first listed:
01-Nov-2007
Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Victoria Street

Map

Ordnance survey map of War Memorial
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1392314.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 04:21:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
War Memorial, Victoria Street

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Stroud (District Authority)
Parish:
Painswick
National Grid Reference:
SO 86643 09704

Reasons for Designation

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION The war memorial in Painswick is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * An eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community * The quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and striking Arts and Crafts influenced memorial, by a recognised architect, Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs * Group value with the numerous listed buildings in the village centre around the memorial, especially the adjoining church and churchyard monuments

Details

1305/0/10012

PAINSWICK VICTORIA STREET War Memorial 01-NOV-07

GV II A war memorial, dating from 1920, designed by Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs (1876-1938). The memorial, c.4m high, is constructed from local limestone and surrounded by limestone paving.

EXTERIOR: The monument takes the form of a tapering shaft of rectangular section, topped by an octagonal head with coping stones; the head is carved with a crucifixion in relief to the south-east side, and a cross with Chi-Rho symbol to the reverse. The shaft is articulated by recessed panels to front and back. The shaft sits directly on the square-section base, which is inscribed to the south west side 'ERECTED IN PROUD / & LOVING MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF PAINS / WICK WHO GAVE THEIR / LIVES IN THE GREAT / WAR OF MCMXIV-MCMXVIII'. Below this, added later, is '1939 - 1945'. The moulded plinth is inscribed 'THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE'. The other three sides carry the names of the fallen from both World Wars. The memorial sits on a platform consisting of three steps, and is surrounded by formal limestone paving and topiary.

HISTORY: The memorial was erected in 1920 on a plot of land just outside St Mary's churchyard, on a prominent site in the historic town centre. This memorial, in common with those in Broadway (now in Worcestershire), Snowshill and Upton St Leonard's, was designed at his own expense by architect, illustrator and printmaker Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs (1876-1938). The memorial initially commemorated the 53 men of the village who lost their lives in the First World War; the names of those who fell in World War Two were added after 1945.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION DECISION: The war memorial in Painswick is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * An eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community * The quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and striking Arts and Crafts influenced memorial, by a recognised architect, Frederick Landseer Maur Griggs * Group value with the numerous listed buildings in the village centre around the memorial, especially the adjoining church and churchyard monuments

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
504003
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 10 January 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/134205
War Memorials Register, accessed 10 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/66624

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].